- Division Home
- Programs & Services
- Program Areas
- Extension Departments
- Field Research Units
- Research Centers
- Academic Departments
- Interdisciplinary Programs
- Student Life
- Faculty & Staff
- About OSU
NREM Faculty - Shannon Brewer
Assistant Unit Leader
007 Agriculture Hall (office)
007 Agriculture Hall (address)
Stillwater, OK 74078
BS: Missouri Western University, 2001; Biology
MS: University of Missouri, 2004; Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
PhD: University of Missouri, 2008; Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
- NREM 5464 : Stream Ecology
My research incorporates basic and applied research, often with a combination of field and modeling components that focus on improving the conservation and management of lotic ecosystems. My research focuses on identifying relations and mechanisms related to rare, declining, or economically-important aquatic species for which the causes and corresponding management responses are unclear. As a researcher, I am broadly interested in the conservation and management of lotic ecosystems, but primarily I conduct research related to aquatic landscape change. The ecology of stream systems is linked to principles derived from landscape ecology and the widely-held view that aquatic landscapes are nested hierarchies of interactions between terrestrial and aquatic elements. Landscape change incorporates a variety of different elements including land management, climate change, flow regulation, etc.
Recent Publications (since 2009)
- Brewer, SK & DJ Orth. In Press. Species conservation profile of the Smallmouth Bass Micropterus dolomieu. Pages XX-XX in Tringali, M. D., M. S. Allen, T. Birdsong, and J. M. Long, editors. Black Bass Diversity: Multidisciplinary Science for Conservation. Proceedings of the Symposium Black Bass Diversity: Multidisciplinary Science for Conservation. American Fisheries Society, Symposium 82, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Brewer, SK & JM Long. In Press. Biology and ecology of genetically distinct Neosho and Ouachita smallmouth bass. Pages XX-XX in Tringali, M.D., J.M. Long, T.W. Birdsong, and M.S. Allen, editors. Black bass diversity: multidisciplinary science for conservation. American Fisheries Society, Symposium 82, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Rabeni, CF & SK Brewer. 2014. Linking successful careers to successful fisheries. Pages 47-52 In Future of Fisheries: Perspectives for the Next Generation of Professionals. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda.
- Worthington, TA, SK Brewer, N Farless, TB Grabowski, and MS Gregory. 2014. Factors affecting the transport time of semibuoyant fish eggs in large, altered river systems. PLoS PloS ONE 9(5): e96599. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0096599
- Worthington, TA, SK Brewer, TB. Grabowski, and J. Mueller. 2014. Backcasting the decline of a vulnerable Great Plains reproductive ecotype: Identifying threats and conservation priorities. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12329
- Brewer SK. 2014. Smallmouth Bass. Pages 380-382 In Kansas Fishes. University Press of Kansas, Lawrence.
- Williams, K, SK Brewer, and MR Ellersieck. 2014. A comparison of two gears for quantifying abundance of lotic-dwelling crayfish. Journal of Crustacean Biology 34:54‒60.
- Brewer, SK 2013. Groundwater influences on the distribution and abundance of riverine smallmouth bass, Micropterus dolomieu, in pasture landscapes of the Midwestern United States. River Research and Applications 29: 269–278.
- Dyer J, SK Brewer, TA Worthington, & E Bergey. 2013. The influence of coarse-scale environmental features on current and future distributions of narrow-range endemic crayfish populations. Freshwater Biology 58:1071‒1088.
- Brewer SK. 2013. Channel unit use by smallmouth bass: Do land-use constraints or quantity of habitat matter? North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33: 351‒358.
- Mueller, JS, BD Cheek, Q Chen, J Groeschel, SK Brewer & TB Grabowski. 2013. A simple device for measuring the minimum current velocity to maintain semi-buoyant fish eggs in suspension. The Prairie Naturalist 45:84-89.
- Worthington, TA, SK Brewer & N Farless. 2013. Spatial and temporal variation in efficiency of the Moore egg collector. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33:1113‒1118.
- Worthington, TA, SK Brewer, TB Grabowski & J Mueller. 2013. Evaluating the sampling efficiency of the Moore egg collector. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33:79‒88.
- Rettig, AV & SK Brewer. 2012. Seasonal habitat shifts by benthic fishes in headwater streams. Proceedings, Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 65:96-102.
- Brewer, SK & CF Rabeni. 2011. Interactions between natural-occurring landscape conditions and land use influencing the abundance of riverine smallmouth bass, Micropterus dolomieu. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68:1922-1933
- Brewer, SK. 2011. Patterns of young-of-year smallmouth bass microhabitat use in multiple stream segments with contrasting land uses. Fisheries Management and Ecology 18:506-512.
- Brewer, SK & MR Ellersieck. 2011. Evaluating two observational sampling techniques for determining the distribution and detection probability of age-0 smallmouth bass in clear, warmwater streams. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 31: 894-904.
- Brewer, SK, RJ DiStefano & CF Rabeni. 2009. The influence of age-specific habitat selection by a stream crayfish community (Orconectes spp.) on secondary production. Hydrobiologia 619:1-10.
- Musselman, WC & SK Brewer. 2009. Winter habitat use by orangethroat darter, Etheostoma spectabile, at multiple spatial scales. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 24:77-83.